Contact Us Today! 757-422-8472


Common Questions Regarding the Immigration Process

Posted by Hugo Valverde | Aug 16, 2019 | 0 Comments

Common Questions Regarding the Immigration Process

The immigration process is one of those things that is difficult based on all of the rules and restrictions that exist in the fine details. Making sure that you are properly prepared is important to streamlining the process as much as possible, which is why you'll find some common questions here to help you out with your immigration needs as much as possible.

What are the rights for immigrants?

Immigrants have a lot of the same rights as citizens do within the US. Examples include protection of the law, interpretation services if needed, a notice of charges against them and a hearing before an immigration judge.

Do I need a lawyer to apply?

You do not need a lawyer to apply for immigration in the US. However, since the system is complex and full of common frustrations with small details, having legal representation can really help you to streamline the process and take a lot of the unknowns out of the picture.

How do I immigrate with employment?

It's best to consult a lawyer when diving into the difficult process of immigration with employment. Since there are many ways to do it, through skills, business expansion and more, getting the right visa and working closely with your future employer is important to doing it right and being successful.

How to I immigrate with family?

When they are supported by US citizens or permanent residents, sometimes you are able to immigrate to the US based on this connection. There are restrictions on the number of acceptances per fiscal year, however, and not everyone is eligible.

What is a green card? Who gets one traditionally? What other options are there?

A green card is a formal document that allows someone to work and live in the US legally. After having this for 3-5 years, they are able to qualify for US citizenship. There are many types of green cards, including marriage-based green cards, family-based green cards and employment-based green cards. There is also what is called a conditional green card that someone can get if their spouse is applying for a green card and they've only been married for 2 years at the time of application. The conditions can be removed at a later date for a traditional green card.

Other things to know:

• When it comes to visas, there are caps of 65,000 per year with the H-1B visa. The fiscal year for this starts on October 1. • Potential employees must fall within the specific and changing restrictions of the particular kind of work visa. If you get accepted and then your job ends while your visa is valid, you must find a new job within the 6-day grace period allowed. If this does not happen, your visa will expire and you will need to leave the US.

The immigration process can have a lot of tight spots, but proper education in the right details can help. Contact Valverde Law with any of your immigration questions and any needs you may have with regards to your visa, green card or citizenship.

About the Author

Hugo Valverde

Hugo's passion for immigration law stems from his own family's immigration experience. His father and mother came to the United States from Peru fleeing political persecution, and as he grew up, Hugo spent many summers in Peru. Hugo uses his experience growing up in an immigrant family and time a...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment